|----- MilitaryGaming.org -----|
|Mod & Setup Help - *Read Channel*|
|-------- ARMA2 GAMING --------|
|===== ACRE Mod Required =====|
|Waiting Room - *Read Channel*|
|Insurgency 2 - Public #1|
|Multi-Session Operations - Public #2|
|Private Members/Events Server|
|-------- ARMA3 GAMING --------|
|Warfare - Public #1|
|-------- PREMIUM AREA --------|
|Gaming Room *Games Only*|
|-------- MEMBERS AREA --------|
|NCO & Officers Club|
|Staff & Board of Directors|
|Public Affairs Department|
|Membership & Account Services|
|--------- AFK USERS ---------|
Getting Started Guide
This guide is designed to help users with getting the necessary mods and setup required to play on the ArmA2 servers provided by Military Gaming. This guide gives a efficient breakdown that allows individuals to get help on the areas they need help with. Already have Six-Updater installed and going? Not a problem, just skip ahead to the part of the guide that you actually need!
Please note that you CANNOT use SIX-LAUNCHER with ACRE. Six-Launcher ONLY allows users to update and start the game with ACE Mod. It is currently unable to be used to launch the game with the ACRE Mod.
1.0 - Installation & Setup
1.1 - Purchasing the Game
There are a few different ways to obtain ArmA2. It is required (just about anywhere you play) to have what is called "ArmA2: Combined Operations". Combined Operations simply means having both ArmA2 and ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead. To be more specific this means you are running the Operation Arrowhead game (aka .exe) but are loading the content from the original ArmA2 game. This is necessary for most addons/modifications to include the popular ACE Mod, ACRE Mod, and even the DayZ Zombie RPG mod.
The two primary methods to obtain the game are:
- via digial distribution (namely Steam) or
- by purchasing the retail store version that comes on CD.
Click here to view ArmA2: Combined Operations on Steam
Click here to view the Private Military Company DLC
Click here to view the British Armed Forces DLC
"ArmA2" is a trademark of Bohemia Interactive Studios.
1.2 - Installing the Game
Well this one should be fairly simple for most. If you have the steam version there is nothing much you have to do except let it download/install automatically. If you have the retail version it is standard to install both ArmA2 and Operation Arrowhead into the same directory. As a note, steam installs the games into two separate directories, however this will not be a problem so don't worry.
One important thing to do regardless of the steam or retail version is to ensure you run each executable once. Example: Run the "ArmA2.exe" and the ArmA2OA.exe" once. If you have steam ensure you just run both ArmA2 and ArmA2 Operation Arrowhead. If running Operation Arrowhead on steam it will make no difference if you select run combined ops because if you remember from the last section we indicated that running Combined Operations is just running the Operation Arrowhead and loading the content from ArmA2. Steam does this automatically, however we will discuss later how you launch the game properly with Six-Updater or with some popular 3rd party launchers.
The reason it is important to run each executable at least once is for the game to create the proper windows registry, allow programs like Six-Updater to detect where and what parts of ArmA2 area installed. This is a common problem users will run into, as most fail to run the ArmA2.exe often.
1.3 - Downloading & Installing Six-Updater
Six-Updater is a updating tool which is required for the ACE and ACRE Mods which we run and require on most of our ArmA2 servers. The links at the bottom of this section will give you additional information on these mods/addons. The use of Six-Updater ensures that the updates which we see often to these mods are fast and prevent users from downloading large files for each update which can be anywhere from a day to weeks at a time. Six-Updater is smart in the way that it only downloads the actual updated files/content and ensures you have the proper version as all other clients and the server.
Follow these steps
- Download the current Six-Updater/Launcher by CLICKING HERE. If you have issues you can also try downloading directly from our site by clicking here.
- Run the installer once downloaded and follow the on screen instructions to install. You do not and should not install Six-Updater into your ArmA2 game directory. The default location is perfectly fine.
- Six-Updater often goes through regular automatic updates so do not be concerned. This process is not updating your mods and is only updating your Six-Updater program version. It is highly recommend that you do not turn this off.
- During the update process there will be a screen as shown below. Ensure that you select "No" if it is only an update. Clicking yes can either cause issues and/or remove all your previous configurations!
- If you ever run into problems installing an automatic update it is recommended to first try downloading the newest version from the Six-Updater.net website (see the link above), uninstalling your previous Six-Updater (not removing configuration files when asked) and then installing the new version.
- If you still have issues we suggest posting on our ArmA2 Support board or checking the Six-Updater site for help.
This page will include more details and instructions soon and is still under construction. For now we will leave the simple and basic instructions. There are two different methods to go about importing the presets for our servers. If you have trouble with option A and recieve a "No program association" error in windows then go with Option B.
Public Server #1 - Insurgency:
sixupdater://militarygaming.org/su/Public1.ymlPublic Server #2 - Multi-Session Operations:
sixupdater://militarygaming.org/su/Public2.ymlPublic Server #3 - Warfare:
- To get the ACE & ACRE Mods needed to join our server you will want to copy one or both of the above listed links and insert into your windows "Run" dialog which can be accessed by pressing "Windows Key+R" on your keyboard.
- This will create a preset for the respective server in Six-Updater with all the required mods. Additional mods are marked as allowed and cab be added per your preference, however we are not going to include instructions on this for now.
- In Six-Updater select the tab shown in the image below that says "Server Browser". There you should see a button as outlined below that says "Important Server", click this button.
- It will now ask you for a "URL". Simply copy the link provided above for the respective server and paste it in here, much like you would in option A using the run dialog.
After you have added the preset(s) follow these instructions:
- Check the top of Six-Updater for 3 boxes which say "Beta", "Server", and "ServerMods". Ensure that "Beta" has a check (not a blue or empty box).
- Right click on the preset itself and select "Updater Actions" and click on "Install or Update and Process Keys". This will begin the install of your game.
- Ensure you click "Yes" when it asks you about dll files and more. This is required for Six-Updater to install the ACRE plugin into your Teamspeak properly as well as activate ACE Clippi when running your game. (See the ACE Clippi section of this guide for information on it).
- We talk about launching the game in another section, however to simply start the game and join that respective server select "Updater Actions" for that preset and then "Join the Server"
- Clippi is the ACE Settings tool; used to easily adjust userconfig defines as well as automatically persist ingame ACE Settings saves.
- Clippi requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0. Most users will already have this installed and not even know it so we advise you try running Clippi before bothering to download .NET Framework 4.0.
- Beside updating the remaining userconfig defines the application also listens to clipboard changes and only reacts if it receives a request from the ACE Options dialog ingame. All other clipboard changes are transferred back to the Windows clipboard chain.
- Users should keep ACE Clippi running at all times while playing for the reasons just listed above.
- Everything marked with a Red Box are the options which we highly recommend selecting. DO NOT select Disable Ruckless or you will have model glitches with Backpacks.Things marked in Blue Box are completely optional and are generally items of personal preference.
2.0 - Starting & Connecting
2.1 - Starting the Game & Connecting to the Server
After you have created the preset(s) for the respective server(s) you now have several options to start the game and connect to our server. By right clicking on one of the presets you can select 'Updater Actions' which will give you a few options. you can either select 'Launch Game' or 'Join this Server'. Launching the game will require you to find the server from the in-game browser.
If you need additional help you are best off contacting someone on our Teamspeak 3 server.
2.2 - Starting the Game using 3rd Party Launchers
Many community made Launchers are still widely preferred by veteran ArmA2 users and/or advanced users. Since these launchers can vary greatly and those using these systems should already know how to use them (and if not you should be using Six-Updater) we will provide the order for the primary addons. Any other addons should be run/loaded following the order listed below.
Most launchers like the ArmA II Launcher by Spirited Machine have a location where you set the addon order. If you a simple icon link to start your game just ensure you follow the above order when creating your shortcut.
Last updated: 24 Mar 2013